Friday, September 26, 2014

Off to Italy!

Here I am, back on Amtrak, heading home ever so briefly. Tonight I fly to Bari, Italy and then on to Matera for the International Women's Fiction Festival. So excited for the festival, and to see this part of Italy for the first time. Matera is in Puglia, which is the heel of the boot, on the Adriatic. After the festival, I'm spending a day and night in Alberobello in one of their trulli, conical limestone houses that look like gnomes should live there. I've wanted to see these for a long time, and can't wait to actually sleep in one. Then a night in Bari before my flight home on Wednesday. An adventure!

I saved the third Elena Ferrante book, and the fifth Maurizio de Giovanni just for this trip. Even though I've fondled both quite a lot, I kept my promise to wait to read them until Italy.

My bias blanket has grown too large to make it a good knitting project for traveling, so I will take either a cable hat (looks hard!!!) or the traveling vines cowl (ditto!). Or maybe both...Resisting the urge to knit dish rags instead because I'd like to have the hat and cowl for gifts, or maybe for me...

I will of course post pictures!