Monday, November 4, 2013

New York, New York

Arrived yesterday en famille so one of us--not me!--could run part of the NYC marathon. Annabelle and I headed to the Brooklyn Flea in Williamsburg, but couldn't cross the street due to aforementioned marathon. No problem. Two hungry girls found solace with Chinese food delivered back at the apartment and some knitting time before we met up with the boys for a matinee of Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812. Go see it!!!!

(Knitting the Avery hat from Loop knits for AB and I love this pattern! So cute! Will post a picture when it's done)

No words can describe the originality and sheer brilliance of this play. And the actor who looked so familiar? I realized he gave Sam a tour of Juilliard back in college audition days! 

Left the theater and walked right into Barbra Streisand leaving The Glass Menagerie, Jim Brolin by her side. As a Marcus Welby MD fan that excited me but not as much as seeing Barbra Streisand up close! 

Turned down 7th Avenue and there was Victor Garber, he of Titanic and Alias. All in all, kind of a perfect NYC day. Finished up with dinner at Barbuto with my old pal, and that chicken just makes me happy. The potatoes even more so. 

And now this morning I get to stay in bed as long as I like. Nowhere to be for the first time in way too long. Coffee and a pile of reading by my side. Sounds of the city in the background. And the promise of hitting my fave knitting store later along with a few other shops. 

My family has had a hard week health wise. Lots of scares and one big serious surgery. I'm glad to cocoon today, to be quiet and read and knit. To smile from time to time over my Barbra encounter. To listen to my city.