Friday, November 28, 2014

Belated Happy Thanksgiving

Before we talk turkey, I have to tell you how wonderful the Miami Book Fair was. As always. Every writer you love and/or admire passes by and there's endless hugging and squeals of You're here! Not to mention the panels and readings and warm temperatures. I had the pleasure of paneling with two writers whose writing I adore but have never had the pleasure of meeting until Saturday: Lisa See and Ayalet Waldman. 

Home for 6 hours before driving to NYC the next morning. Ride made fun by having my buddy Tracey along. Ok. She actually did the driving. (Yay! Tracey!) and then back home Tuesday and the shopping and cooking began in earnest. 

Our usual Thanksgiving Eve bash was as crazy as ever. Though the day was a bit more subdued because of various health, work, and travel snafus (thank you, SNOW!!!) But it was just cozier and delicious and filled with family and friend love. 

Today both Annabelle and I battled fevers--no wonder we went to sleep at 7:30 last night, and slept almost fourteen hours--and headaches and general malaise. I did rally tonight to make a remarkable turkey pot pie and go to see Sam in a monologue show. But by the time we got back home I needed to get back in bed, desperately. A wee dram of whiskey always cures what ails me, be it physical, mental, or emotional. So hopefully this will do the trick. Plus, another day in bed tomorrow. Such luxury! Though I've got a date with Gogo to make meatballs in the afternoon. And later with Sam and Lorne for a movie, if I'm better. 

Sunday we will do our traditional tagging of the Christmas tree before I head to NYC, with Sam and Cameron, for teaching and meetings and lots of plays (early birthday celebration). 

But for now, sipping my wee dram and about to read a guidebook to Jerusalem, where I'm excited to go in February for the international book fair!


15 years in the making! Our first thanksgiving fire!