Friday, August 3, 2012

Didn't Hemingway write standing up?

Maybe he was also sweltering and needed to stand in front of a fan--like me right now. We got new storm windows back in the fall and they open out instead of up, so our air conditioner can't sit in the window. I am about to melt. I keep reminding myself that i am not as hot as when we were in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. That's my bar for hot. I've had about six glasses of water with lemon and cucumber slices, and I'm still parched. Ugh.

Dinner tonight: cantaloupe and prosciutto; tomato mozzarella salad with pesto; Gogo's spaghetti and meatballs. Note this requires me to NOT cook. Boil water. Slice melon. Drizzle pesto.

Back to NYC early tomorrow with GJ and Annabelle. We have tickets to NEWSIES on Saturday and a musical of Skippyjon Jones on Sunday. If you have kids and you haven't discovered the Skippyjon Jones books yet, stop reading this and go and buy them. We also have them on CD to listen in the car, and they never fail to make me laugh.

Last week's trip was such fun. Seeing INTO THE WOODS in Central Park was a real experience. The next day I took Annabelle and her buddy Ella to two bookstores and it made my heart sing to atch them sit and read until I had to force them out so I could get to the radio station to tape my later installment for NPR's The Story. Link to it below!

http://thestory.org/archive/The_Story_8312.mp3/view

ONCE was sold out, so we saw ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS instead and boy, did I love that play! I highly recommend it. We spent the next morning at the Central Park Zoo where we got to see some really good polar bear action. Then on to my event at the NYPL with kids before getting the train home.

I am happy to drive tomorrow though--my car has very good AC!