Saturday, July 21, 2012

"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either."

That is a quote from the brilliant uber knitter Elizabeth Zimmerman, and so suits my day today. I am still here in Costa Mesa, CA at the Compassionate Friends National Conference. Yesterday I gave my presentation, Lessons from the Knitting Circle, which always brings a nice crowd (we had over 50!) and which, I hope, helps grieving parents to find an unexpected place of comfort. Today, the amazing Karen Holmes, owner of Fresh Purls in Providence, is teaching a beginners knitting class. She flew across the country, toting thirty knitting bags of yarn and needles, to give this gift to people who need it. I am humbled by her generosity and her spirit. Looking forward to this afternoon, when we will run the workshop. Hopefully, I will not have to actually teach any knitting...

I finished my Waves blanket this week, and am about to begin a second one (the plan being to knit one for each kiddo by Christmas) today. Also finished my first of the bright striped dishcloth (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10620.html) made with Lion Brand kitchen vintage yarn. I have been slow to post pictures, but I need to show these babies off:

Image of Bright Stripes Dishcloths