Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Chilly Florida

Every January finds me here in St. Petersburg, Florida teaching at Eckerd College Writers in Paradise writing conference. I've never been much of a Florida girl--except those long ago spring breaks to Fort Lauderdale, the always fabulous Miami Book Fair, my residency at the Hermitage, and memorable readings at Bookstore One in Sarasota. Yet these weeks here feel more and more like a homecoming of sorts. I always have a knockout group in my workshops. The readings never fail to take my breath away. And sitting in my jammies at night sipping whiskey with my writer pals warms me, makes me laugh, makes me think, inspires me, and reminds me how lucky I am to be part of this vibrant community of writers. And hey! There's nothing like seeing sunshine and palm trees in January!