Monday, February 11, 2013

Snow and food. More snow. More food. Repeat.

I'm sure you have all heard about the huge blizzard that swept New England this past weekend. Happy to report that we didn't lose power (though we ran out of oil last night some time and are pretty cold now awaiting a delivery!) and so were able to cook up a storm. I made a huge pot of lentil soup that served as lunch all weekend. A Chinese family was snowed in with us, so we had a Chinese New Year feast Friday night. On Saturday we invited neighbors over and had all kinds of pastas and salads and a yummy chocolate orange cake that I baked that afternoon. By yesterday, cabin fever hit and so Cousin GJ and I, with Annabelle and her friend, went for cassoulet--the perfect winter dinner, especially when made by someone else! (that someone else was the Pot au Feu restaurant in downtown Providence, and if you are local you must go and warm up there with a nice crock of it. Or French onion soup, bouiliabaisse--how do you spell that???--or any number of country French delights) No school again today, and my talk in Newport at Salve Regina got postponed, so another day of cleaning and knitting and lazing about. Enchiladas for dinner tonight. I made a big batch of chicken with green sauce and flank steak with red. The sky is still as gray as can be with freezing rain on its way. So I made a big bowl of oatmeal while I wait for the oil man...