Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cartagena!

Oh! What a long weekend I had in beautiful Cartagena! Palm trees. Bright blue and yellow and red buildings with hot pink and orange flowers draped over wrought iron balconies. Sunset over the ocean from atop the city wall. Mango, papaya, watermelon, and fruit I don't even know the name for sold on every street corner. Mojitos! And walking, walking, walking in the tropical heat. One day spent in a hammock on an island, reading the book ADMISSION. One day spent on the rooftop of my hotel, reading BEAUTIFUL RUIN, which by the way is one of the best books I have read in a long time (please read it!!!).

I just can't say enough about this beautiful city. As you can tell!

And now I am home, staying put (sort of) until THE OBITUARY WRITER comes out officially on March 4.

Please check my EVENTS section for all the wonderful readings I'll be doing, hopefully in or near your hometown.

And on March 3, I will have an essay about my mother's Friday night poker club in Parade. Also coming is an essay about my failed attempts at learning to sew, which will be in More's April issue.

Now I am hunkering down, getting ready for what appears to be a huge blizzard coming my way. Annabelle is sitting next to me typing letters to her far flung friends. I have a fresh bottle of single malt whiskey to open in a bit, maybe while I'm watching ROMANCING THE STONE...