Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The tricky thumb gusset

One of My favorite knitting projects this year has been the ferryman mitts from churchmouse Yarn and tea on Bainbridge Island, Washington. This pattern is tricky and simple, beautiful and challenging, and a perfect carry on the airplane project. When sam saw the mitts I had knit for Annabelle he asked for an identical pair in the same yarn. So why, after successfully knitting this pattern three times did my fourth thumb gusset fail? I just can’t get it right! This is what is on my mind today, those things we succeed at over and over and then somehow manage to fail at for no particular reason. As you all know, knitting is a perfect metaphor for life. Well, my latest “thumb gusset” is a new novel I have just finished. Of course, typing the end really just means the end of that draft, and time to let the revisions begin! There is such a feeling of satisfaction and dare I say even enjoy when I finish a draft of a novel. If you are lucky like I am, then your husband eagerly reads that draft and gives you the most brilliant notes and suggestions for revision. He tells you that you have written something wonderful. But like those pesky thumb gussets you can’t help but wonder if you can really pull it off again.

On Amtrak today from Providence to New York City I did not even look up once so engaged was I in my revision process. I just had the most wonderful lunch with an old friend and now I will meet with my fabulous thesis students before dinner with my friend and editor. And then at 10 the key will turn in the lock and my fabulous husband will walk in, and we will tell each other about the thumb gussets that worked out and those that didn’t today. Tomorrow I will turn again to my revision, and to that fourth mitt.

When I walked from the subway today, all of the tulips in Abingdon Square were in bloom, a riot of red like they were at my wedding last year. I hope you see something as glorious today, that your knitting reminds you of our challenges and our victories.